Distance Learning - Successful With Discipline

Second semester completed. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to write here, but man, this semester has been busy. For those just joining that don’t remember my earlier posts, I’m getting a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Security from Western Governors University, a non-profit school offering online degrees in Information Technology, Education, Nursing, and Business. I’m trying to get the degree at an accelerated pace, as WGU is a go-at-your-pace school that charges you per 6-month term regardless of how many courses you complete.

In addition, I’m working full-time as a Helpdesk Manager for the US Navy, and I own a small business doing web hosting and design in WordPress. Oh yeah, and I’m married with 3 kids.

Suffice it to say, semester 2 was challenging.

Distance Learning - Successful With Discipline

I transferred in 44 credits from some time spent at a brick & mortar school, completed a bunch of really easy classes in my first term (30 credits), and this term completed four courses for a total of 19 credits. So far, so good. The culmination of this semester ended in my completion of the Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT), which should prove useful both in my current job as a Helpdesk Manager and when I retire from the Navy and go for my follow-on career.

WGU takes discipline, and I encourage anyone considering pursuing their degree options to strongly consider how much time you’ll be able to dedicate to your degree, and how you’ll deal with those distractions. To finish my term, I literally had to shut myself in my office every day over my Memorial Day weekend. But I ended strong, passing my CCENT with a 986/1000.

Anyways, that’s all for now. I’ve got 7 classes to go (29 credits), with a goal to finish by the end of November. Plans from there are to move on to their Masters in Information Security and Assurance or their MBA in IT Management. Not sure which yet. Stay tuned!




via Tom Marsland
Share on Google Plus

About GN

GN (Galeri Nusantara) berusaha memberikan informasi terbaru mengenai berbagai hal yang ada diseluruh nusantara dan dunia dengan akurat dan sumber yang terpercaya.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :