That MacBook is finally here - now I need some apps

I bet you thought I would stop talking about my MacBook now that it's here, but I find myself totally lost. I thought I knew what I'd do with it, and while I do know these main things, I find myself unprepared for the other options I have now that I have a laptop that can actually do things without running out of memory or battery. I've been using a Windows desktop as my main computer for the last 2 years, so I don't even know what the best of Mac is, so I find myself begging the internet (mostly Liveschedules' fault again) for help.


I've been browsing the Lifehacker Mac Apps directory, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/ringing endorsements for free and almost-free apps in particular areas. Cross-platform compatibility is a plus, but since this is a laptop and I can take it with me, features matter more to me.



  • Journaling. I want an app that will allow me to design a template, similar to that of the Five Minute Journal, that I can just fill in every morning and evening, and is easily browsed. I could have sworn there was one featured on StackSocial, but it seems to have disappeared. I know there are kludgy extensions to Evernote that will let you do this, but I was hoping for a single app.

  • Text editor for coding - I picked TextWrangler. I used it the last time I had to code on a Mac. I really love Notepad++ so as close to that as possible would be nice, but I vaguely remember TextWrangler not having native support for syntax highlighting of R scripts.

  • I suppose I should use some sort of version control now that I am starting to get serious about coding. I would like something that makes this easy, since I don't know what I'm doing, and also private repositories (stored locally or on my cloud accounts).

  • Antivirus - Sophos Antivirus for Mac?

  • Backups - Time Machine or something else? I have a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac.

  • Note-taking apps. I use Notability on my iPad sometimes. Is it worth using on my laptop?

  • A lab notebook app that doesn't put things in the cloud and can export protocols and reports and such to pdf/word.

  • Productivity apps: Marinara Timer in app form, RescueTime or some other analysis app that doesn't just classify "Google Chrome" as any one kind of productivity.

  • Some software I can use to organize and tag and group pictures, specifically pictures of my clothes, which I will then group by type and tag with conditions in which to wear them. Ideally, this would be separate from whatever Photo organizing app I use by default, but if anyone has cool suggestions for using iPhoto to do it, I'm all ears. This one is probably something I don't want to pay for.

  • Anything else that would make life as a graduate student much easier.


Unrelated technical difficulties: how do you get the scroll bar to show up on Chrome without adjusting the width of the window and hovering? Are there shortcuts I can set for page up, page down, and end? This is all wildly inefficient.


Thank you all.








via I'm a little teapot, short
Share on Google Plus

About GN

GN (Galeri Nusantara) berusaha memberikan informasi terbaru mengenai berbagai hal yang ada diseluruh nusantara dan dunia dengan akurat dan sumber yang terpercaya.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :